8.1.12

You've Got Mail.

I am a wanna be crafter. There, I said it. Sure I'm creative, but actually getting what is in my head out on paper, or any other material for that matter, well, let's just say it is an area that needs a little work. But I have several friends who are as crafty as all get out.



Scrapers (of the paper variety), painters, bakers, knitters, jewelry makers, stampers, decorators, designers, and everything in between, these ladies put Martha Stewart to shame. Seriously. This year I am aiming to get my craft on. Maybe some of my lovely lady friends could help. In the meantime, I was beyond excited when I went to the mail earlier this week to find a package from one Sarah Jones of Half Sweet Vanilla fame.

If you know Sarah, and if you don't, one minute on her blog with tell you, she is as crafty as they come. I knew immediately there was going to be handmade heaven inside the envelope. I am already the proud owner of one pair of beautiful earrings made by the hands of Ms. Jones, so I was anxious to see what the golden manilla envelope had in store.


Even her envelope addressing is done with crafty flair!

When I opened the envelope, inside was a homemade card and hand-stamped 2012 tea towel.




Not only was it lovely to receive such a thoughtful and beautiful (not to mention useful) pressie in the mail, it was a welcome change from the many credit card bills that arrived alongside. Bills for online purchases mainly from Etsy and from local stores here in St. John's, with the exception of the Santa letter requests of the girls. I figure if I can't make it myself I can at least support local or someone who can. While the whole interwebs thing is good, and methinks here to stay, getting a letter or package in the mail is a welcome surprise.



My mother-in-law is incredibly good at putting little things in the mail for the girls -- a postcard from her travels, a book of stickers to say she is thinking of them, or simply a letter with a little update on life in her neck of the woods. It is sheer joy for them when something arrives in the mail. Most days our mail consists of, well, bills. I think our bills have bills. Yeah, they do, it's called interest.

It is a delightful surprise when a letter or package (not one that you ordered online - although that is delightful too) arrives. Is it the time? The effort? The permanency? The rarity? The personal touch? That makes getting a letter so different than getting the same information via email? A mail carrier wrote in the NY Times in 1886 about people's joy in receiving a letter, and that joy, it seems, is still going strong today.

So this year, the year of living color-fully, I will put something in the mail every month for someone. I will delight in knowing that when they go to their post and find something other than bills and junk mail that I made them smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love your colourful comments. But just remember, I moderate, so not too colourful.